Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Quickie

I have such a pull toward refining whatever I work on that I am always in danger of making what I paint look like a photograph. And with apologies to Chuck Close, if I want it to look like a photograph I will just grab my camera and take a photograph.

So, a lot of my artistic life has been a conscious effort to loosen up and not be so enslaved by the exact image before me. But not being tied to the image before me does not mean I am excused from all the elements that create a good painting. I still must balance color, value, shape, texture, rhythm, repetition, space, etc, etc.

So here's my assignment to myself: Complete a small painting in 1 hour, working alla prima, and using twice as much paint as I usually do. I am so stingy with my paint (it's SO expensive) and this, by all accounts, can cramp your style and slow you down.



And here's the result.

It is rough and unrefined, but I am happy with it, nonetheless. It is only 8" x 10" and I used a #6 flat brush (about 1/2 inch wide) most of the time to keep me from getting detailed too fast.
Pushing the paint across the canvas surface created actual texture (as opposed to visual texture) and made for a rich surface.
I may use this study for a larger, more refined painting later on.
Or maybe not.... maybe I'll let it stand on its own.



*Tip - squeeze out twice as much paint onto your palette as you think you will need. That way you won't skimp on pigment and you also won't waste time having to stop to squeeze out additional paint and disrupt your painting rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment