Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Inertia 2


Another way to overcome inertia is sketching (this winds up killing two birds with one stone since you can also use the sketches as a basis for paintings later on).

The blank page of the sketchbook is not so scary as the blank canvas because it seems much easier to rip out the page and throw it away if it is too hideous. Nobody will ever know! You can throw out canvasses, too, but they cost a lot more. OK, so I'm cheap.

I carry my camera everywhere, so I can later use photos to sketch from if it is inconvenient sketch on the spot. Just don't get enslaved to the photographic image (this is always a danger). The camera distorts the image too, and the camera's view is no more valid than yours. Again, the photo should only be a starting point from which you branch out. Don't be afraid to experiment!
From my sketchbook:



 I often note where the sketch was done (heaven help me if I have to rely on my memory!)







No comments:

Post a Comment