Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Creating "Space"

Across the Field   6" x 8"

Space can be defined as "the interval or measurable distance between pre-established points". One of my desires is to create a feeling of three dimensional space within the picture frame (decorative space is for another time). I want the surface of the canvas to be where space starts, and then spreads out.

One way to give the illusion of space is by use of linear perspective, but because one of my favorite subjects is landscape, my main way of creating space is by use of aerial perspective. Aerial perspective can be created by position on the picture plane, overlapping, diminishing detail, and color changes.

I did the little painting above the other day and used all those methods to create a feeling of space. Objects lower on the picture plane appear closer (position). Objects which overlap appear closer (the trees along the wall overlap the field and the trees behind). Objects further away are softer, with less detail. 

But the area where I took the most artistic liberties is in the area of color changes. The scene was actually green, green, and more green! Painting it the way I saw it would have created a flat, boring picture, so I played with the color. Some general "rules" are: warm colors advance, cool colors recede....intense colors advance, grayed colors recede....light colors advance, dark colors recede.  Can you see how I used these ideas? And my green summer landscape became an autumn landscape (I love artistic license). Much more interesting.

Always bear in mind, though, that these "rules" may be broken as you gain skill and experience. Learn the rules first, then how to break them!




No comments:

Post a Comment