Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

One Hour Painting

Some years ago I went on a cruise and visited the Caribbean. It was a feast of colors and light!

This little 6" x 8" oil sketch is done from a photo I took on that vacation and is my second try. The first was entirely too picky and I fussed with it for a couple of hours before I accepted the truth and filed it in the nearest trash.
This version only took an hour and I made a concerted effort to stay loose and use as few brush strokes as possible. I wanted to keep it fresh!

I also didn't use an underpainting, something which I always use. But I'm trying to branch out and do new things, hence no underpainting. OK, ok....It may not seem like a big change to you, but to one as entrenched in certain methods as I am it is a big concession. It's a start, anyway. A variety of techniques enhances the possibility of success and any tool I can add to my arsenal is welcome.

I would love to go back and paint on the spot, but considering the economic situation nowadays I don't see that happening. I can always hope, though.

Caribbean  6" x 8"

No comments:

Post a Comment