Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Painting on Memorial Day

On Memorial Day I think about my father and his brothers who all served in WWII defending our country and its liberties. They all came home, but reflecting on those who didn't reminds me that freedom isn't free.






This sketch is from my imagination, but it is a view like many I have seen and evokes memories of my mother's side of the family, many of whom eked out a living working hard on their patch of land. I used to visit each summer and for me these were magic days spent playing in the woods and fields, picking blackberries, eating ice cream.






A quick sketch (using a brush) on a toned canvas.












The initial wash of colors has a lot of turpentine thinner in it. After this I will use a painting medium, like copal, to thin the paint and make it flow easier. I always try to follow the "Fat over Lean" law to ensure good adhesion (more flexible layer should go over less flexible layer).






Cami's Yellow House   9" x 12"  




After the painting was finished I added the birds flying toward the house, low in the sky. I thought they added a bit of life and movement to the fairly empty scene. Cover them up with your thumb and you can see what a difference it makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment